Final Blog

Kirsten Johnson's lecture was a bit unorthodox but was both eye-opening and inspirational. Often times, when I imagine creating a film or just shooting a scene, I am way too focused on the bigger picture. This often would lead me to create basic shots. Though her ideas on perspective reminded me of why I started and fell in love with film. It's to convey personal emotions, shot through the perspective of myself. Kirsten emphasized the importance of perspective by deliberately moving all throughout the lecture hall. By constantly moving we're able to constantly learn more about her, your perception of her when she is on the other side of the lecture hall is way different from when she is staring down your face three feet away. Which is another lesson that she taught us indirectly; to be comfortable with doing anything to get your shot. It was immediately clear to us that her way of shooting is very up close and personal. For me personally, I'm not quite as comfortable shooting's someone's face two feet away from the person. Though oftentimes, being uncomfortable shooting a scene is the only way to convey the emotion you were looking for. Towards the end of the lecture, she forced us to stare at a classmate's eye for about two minutes. I feel as if she had many purposes for that exercise. One of the lessons she was trying to teach is to learn to bask in the uncomfortable feeling because oftentimes you will have to be uncomfortable while creating or filming a shot. Her lessons resonated with me for a while now, and hopefully, I will be able to implement them on my future endeavors.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soundwalk